Welcome to UConn Health! Our New Employee Orientation provides a comprehensive introduction to what awaits you as our newest workforce member. This orientation introduces you to our academic health center's culture, values, history, services, resources, and benefits, including insurance and retirement programs in which eligible employees may enroll.
|New Employee Orientation is a two-day virtual program hosted on WebEx, an online meeting tool. New hires, who have cleared their onboarding, receive an email invite from Human Resources on the week of their scheduled orientation.|
|Day 1 - 8:00 am — 4:00 pm||Day 2 - 8:00 am — 3:30 pm|
|8:00 am||Welcome/Check In||8:00 am||Diversity Awareness|
|8:15 am||Icebreaker||11:00 am||Break|
|8:30 am||Your Employee Experience at UConn Health||11:15 am||IT Security|
|9:30 am||Our Patient Experience at UConn Health||12:00 pm||Lunch|
|10:00 am||Break||1:00 pm||Compliance Program Overview|
|10:15 am||Overview of New Employee Welcome Hub||1:30 pm||Healthcare Compliance and Privacy Overview|
|10:30 am||Retirement and Health Benefits FAQ Session||2:00 pm||Break with Frequently Asked Questions|
|11:30 pm||Lunch||2:15 pm||Environmental Health and Safety|
|12:30 pm||Introduction to Epic and our Network||3:00 pm||Med-Surg 5 Breakout
for applicable attendees
|1:15 pm||Sexual Harassment Prevention|
|3:30 pm||Meeting with Your Union
for applicable attendees
Onboarding for Non-UConn Health Employees
To provide consistent guidance on pre-employment screening and onboarding requirements for individuals not paid by UConn Health who work within our facilities as contracted by a temporary staffing agency, third party entity or an independent consultant. The manager of the department retaining the non-employee is responsible for identifying the worker's role within the unique environment and ensuring that the following minimum requirements are applied.
1. Contracting and Procurement. Department manager or designee confirms that a valid contract is in place with the agency providing the contract worker (the supplier).
- To verify or obtain a contract, manager or designee consults with the Procurement Department.
- To pay for contracted services, the hiring department enters a Purchase Requisition and generates a Purchase Order through the HuskyBuy eProcurement platform.
2. Candidate Selection and Verification. Department manager works with the supplier to identify, interview and select an appropriate candidate.
- The manager is required to verify with Human Resources that the candidate meets all requirements for the intended scope of work, including licensure, certification or registration required by policy, law or regulation.
3. Orientation and Training. Prior to the start of any work activities, the worker must complete all orientation and training requirements.
- The hiring department is required to notify Human Resources Talent Acquisition of the selected candidate.
- The designated Talent Acquisition Specialist will schedule the worker to attend New Employee Orientation.
4. Background Check. A current background check is required of any person permitted to work on UConn Health premises. There is a $75 fee for this service, typically paid by the supplier.
- The department provides the Background Information Sheet to the supplier or the worker.
- The form must contain the host department, manager’s name, and contact information.
- The completed form is submitted, with payment, to UConn Health Police Administration (Room LG041, MC 3925). Checks are made payable to UConn Health, issued by the supplier.
5. Health Screening. The worker cannot begin any activities until health screening requirements have been verified by Employee Health Services.
- If the position requires a pre-placement exam, the manager or designee schedules an appointment with Employee Health Services.
- If the supplier or worker has submitted proof of current health requirements and vaccinations, documentation must be reviewed and verified by Employee Health Services.
6. Identification Badges. UConn Health requires all employees, students, and non-employees to wear a UConn Health identification badge visibly at all times.
- Identification badges are issued after background check clearance and onboarding requirements are complete.
Self-Learning Orientation for Non-UConn Health Employees
Non-employees who will work at UConn Health and have been assigned a self-learning orientation by Human Resources must complete and sign-off on self-learning orientation packet.