Sampling & Testing
Please note our Emergency Department does NOT perform COVID screening tests.
Drive-Through COVID-19 Sampling Site
UConn Health offers drive-through COVID-19 testing by appointment only at our Farmington location. Testing is available for both symptomatic and symptom-free individuals. Both children and adults can schedule a test, but minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
This site does not provide COVID-19 PCR testing for traveling. COVID-19 molecular testing is performed using a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) which employs transcription-mediated amplification (TMA). For travel, we encourage you to talk to your airline for their specific requirements.
Every person in the vehicle who wants to receive a COVID-19 test must have an appointment scheduled under their own MyChart account.
Hours of Operation
Monday: 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Saturday: 7:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Site hours may be subject to change.
Make an Appointment
* Due to high call volumes, wait times can be longer than normal. Appointment availability is extremely limited, please call 211 or visit 211ct.org for alternate testing locations and additional resources.
What to Know and What to Bring
- Our health care professionals are outfitted in protective equipment, including a gown, goggles, a mask, and gloves.
- Patient must have a driver’s license or valid identification and their health insurance card if they are insured.
- Patient being tested must be at a window that rolls completely down.
How the Sampling Process Works
- The entire process at our drive through sampling site takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you have an appointment for testing, please follow the signs to enter Garage 1 on the Level 2 entrance ramp.
- You will not have to pay for parking if you are entering for COVID-19 testing only.
- Patients receive instructions, including information about self-isolation.
- A health care professional swabs a nasopharyngeal (deep nose swab) to collect a sample.
- The sample is sent for testing.
Receiving Your Results
All patients should sign up for MyChart if the patient does not already have an account, even if they have an order from their doctor.
- Doctor’s Order: If the patient has a doctor’s order, the results will go back to the doctor who provided the order.
- COVID-19 Call Center at UConn Health: If the order was placed through the COVID-19 Call Center at UConn Health, the patient will be called to confirm the results.
- MyChart Direct Scheduling: The patient will only get a call from the COVID-19 Call Center if the results are positive. The patient will be encouraged to contact their primary care provider for further guidance. Negative results will not receive a call.
In all cases, all patients will be able to obtain their results directly in their MyChart account.
When Will I Receive My Results?
Result times can vary based on volume, but usually within 24-48 hours. Saturday results may take a little longer.
COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Costs
There will be no out-of-pocket expense for the COVID-19 test with most insurance.
Please bring the patient’s identification and health insurance card when you come to the testing site.
If the patient does not have insurance, our financial counselors will work with them. Please call 860-679-4120 to speak with a financial counselor about your situation or contact your insurance carrier directly.
Current pricing structure for COVID-19 diagnostic testing:
|C9803||COVID-19 SPEC COLLECTION||$50.00|
|U0004||COVID-19 TEST NON-CDC HGH THRUPUT||$200.00|
|U0005||COVID-19 W/IN 2 DAY-ADD ON||$50.00|
|86769||SARS-COV-2 COVID-19 ANTIBODY||$130.00|
|87635||SARS-COV-2 COVID-19 AMP PRB||$150.00|
FAQs and Fact Sheets