The Voluntary Schedule Reduction Program (VSRP) was developed by the State as a cost savings measure and is authorized by Section 5-248c of the Connecticut General Statutes since 1991. Under the Voluntary Schedule Reduction Program, employees may temporarily reduce their work schedules with unpaid leave, without affecting their other benefits.
To participate, complete a CT-HR-7c form, sign the employee section then have your supervisor approve, sign, and send to Elizabeth Fay, Human Resources, MC 4035.
- Participation in the VSRP is voluntary.
- Management approval is required.
- Requests cannot be approved if the leave would result in overtime costs or have a significant impact on critical services.
- The VSRP may not be used to substitute medical leave.
- The employee or management may cancel time off under the VSRP up to and including the day prior to the date of the scheduled time off.
- The VSRP is not subject to the grievance or arbitration procedure.
- This voluntary program can be utilized at any time by permanent employees working an FTE of at least 50%.
- Employees may not reduce to below 50% while utilizing this program, as they must ensure the hours worked in a pay cycle exceeds the minimum number of hours required for eligibility for health insurance benefits.
- Employee completes Part 1 of the CT-HR-7c form and signs.
- Employee submits the form to their manager or department head.
- Manager or department head reviews the form, completes Part 2 with approval or disapproval based on their unit's operational needs, and signs.
- Manager or department head sends the form to Elizabeth Fay, Human Resources, MC 4035.
- Human Resources reviews the form and sends a status memo to the employee and manager or department head including time card instructions.
- Requests made are only for a three month period. A new request form must be submitted to extend beyond the initial three months.