Incoming: J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Two researchers side by side with a microscope

Incoming: J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

The Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant visa category is for individuals approved to temporarily participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. UConn Health Center is an approved Exchange Visitor Program, designated by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

There are different categories of J visa, each with varying regulations dictating appropriate work, study, and maximum length of stay. The categories found at UCHC include Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, and Student (degree, non-degree, and intern). The category a prospective exchange visitor (EV) falls under is determined by the objective of their visit and the nature of their work/study.

When accepted as a participant, the EV will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (Form DS-2019), which is sent to him/her by UConn Health's Human Resources – International Office. This DS-2019 allows the EV to apply for a J visa and come to UConn Health for the period noted on the form. Depending on the category, extension may be possible pending an internal approval process.

Application Process

Individuals interested in participating as an exchange visitor at UCHC may apply in different ways, depending on the category.

  • Student: This category has various sub-types, depending on the program of study. The regular student category would most often be used for those pursuing a degree program who are receiving funding/scholarship from their home country government. (For other full-time degree seeking students, see the F-1 visa section).
    • Non-Degree Student: Those pursuing a course of study that does not lead to a recognized degree, such as a fellowship, residency, or certificate program.
    • Student Intern:Foreign college and university students (or recent graduates) visiting the U.S. to receive hands-on experience in their specific field of study.
    • Please visit UCHC’s website to view the available academic programs and admissions procedures:




Depending on the category, J-1 employment is permitted, but strictly regulated within the parameters of the exchange visitor’s objective for his/her stay in the U.S. For example, a Postdoctoral Fellow must pursue research in the field defined by his/her DS-2019, and only for the institution sponsoring his/her J-1 status. The International Office will help EV’s to understand the restrictions of their J-1 employment at UConn Health Center.

Medical Insurance Requirements

All exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents are required to have medical insurance in effect for the entire period of participation in our program. Minimum coverage is:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  • Please view UCHC’s Insurance Declaration for Visa Holder.pdf.


International Office Information Sheet: J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Information.pdf

U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program:

UCHC Office of Postdoctoral Affairs:

UCHC Academic Programs: