Incoming: H-1B Temporary Worker in a Specialty Occupation Visa

Two researchers side by side with a microscope

Incoming: H-1B Temporary Worker in a Specialty Occupation Visa

The H-1B status is a non-immigrant classification and is used to hire a foreign national professional for a temporary period of time. H-1B status is typically used at UConn Health for faculty, postdoctoral fellows and academic staff positions. The H-1B status is employer-specific. There must be an employer/employee relationship with the employer filing for H-1B status on behalf of the employee.

H-1B status is initially granted for a maximum period of three years and can be extended to a total of six years (regardless of the number of employers). All H-1B requests on behalf of UConn Health must be processed through the International Office in Human Resources. The H-1B is valid ONLY for the position stated on the H-1B petition. The person holding H-1B status cannot accept any other employment in or out of UConn Health. If there are changes in the terms of employment (including promotions, changes in duties, or change of departments), you must first consult with the International Office to determine whether an amended or new petition must be filed. If an amended petition is required, it will be necessary to initiate a new H-1B application.

If an individual holds H-1B status and wants to change employers, the new employer must file a new H-1B petition. However, this must be done within the total six-year limit. The individual cannot start working for the new employer until USCIS has approved the application.

For information on obtaining an H-1B Visa through UConn Health, please contact your department directly.