Incoming: F-1 Student Visa

2019 UConn Health graduates

Incoming: F-1 Student Visa

F-1 student status is a non-immigrant classification that allows an individual to remain in the United States as a student, as long as they are registered to pursue a full course of study at an academic institution authorized by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to admit foreign students. The students are issued a Form I-20 through their sponsoring institution in order to apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy in their home country.


  • All students on an F-1 visa must be enrolled in a full course of study as defined by University regulations and be pursuing a program leading to a recognized degree (i.e. - MDS, PhD, etc).
  • Students on an F-1 visa may remain in the U.S. until they complete their program of study. The length of the program is defined in the I-20 issued by UConn Health. Acceptance into new graduate degree programs may allow students to extend their I-20 to cover the new length of that program. Each extension requires the approval of the International Office
  • An F-1 student may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week when the school is in session and full -time when school is not in session.
  • An F-1 student is permitted Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and/or Optional Practical Training (OPT) for a maximum of 12 months. Students work with their academic department and the International Office to gain CPT and/or OPT approval.


Upon admission and confirmation of enrollment to a degree-seeking graduate program at UCHC, international students will work with their academic department and the International Office on the next steps. The academic department will provide a list of the documents required to issue an I-20 for the student and his/her dependent(s). This includes government-issued identification documents and evidence of financial resources, among others. For more information on the admissions process to UCHC’s graduate programs, please see here.

Students Outside the U.S.

  • Once an I-20 is issued, the SEVIS fee must be paid, then students outside the U.S. must apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country or country of residence.
  • It is important to check the embassy’s website to ensure adherence to their required documentation, as specific requirements and wait times can vary.
  • More information on this process can be found here.

Students in the U.S. on F-1 Status

  • Students currently in the U.S. on F-1 status may be eligible to transfer their SEVIS record to UCHC. Once acceptance and enrollment is confirmed, students will work with their academic department to provide the International Office with the required documents.
  • The International Office will then provide a Transfer Recommendation form, which is completed by the student and the DSO at his/her “transfer-out” university. This confirms the date of transfer, and the student’s successful maintenance of F-1 status while in the U.S.

Students in the U.S. - Other Status

  • If an accepted student is currently in the U.S. in a status other than F-1, then they will need to apply for a change of status.
  • Once the I-20 is issued, the student must choose whether to apply for a change of status in the U.S., or depart the country and apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
  • Choosing between these two options can be complicated and situation-specific, so students are encouraged to speak with the International Office and/or a professional immigration specialist to determine the correct choice.


F-1 Student Visa Information.pdf

Study in the States

UConn Health Center Graduate School Admission