Foreign Citizens and Non-LCME Medical School Graduates

Foreign Citizens

Foreign citizens who wish to enter the United States for postgraduate training must comply with the United States immigration laws in addition to following the application procedures located on the PL-1, PL-2 or PL-3 Positions page.

All applicants must be citizens, permanent residents or on a J1 or J2 Visa. H visas are not accepted for training at the University of Connecticut.

Foreign Medical School Graduates

Foreign medical school graduates should contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates for details concerning requirements. All requirements must be complete prior to the deadline match list submission.

Additional Requirements

  • Valid ECFMG certificate.
  • A minimum USMLE score is not required, but candidates must pass each step taken on the first attempt to be considered for an interview.
  • U.S. clinical experience is not required.
  • Research experience is not required.
  • If there is a gap between medical school and residency, you will need to provide an explanation in your ERAS personal statement.


Unfortunately our program does not offer these experiences at this time.