The Connecticut Bleeding Disorders Center
The Connecticut Bleeding Disorders Center is a premier resource for information about and treatment of hemophilia, von Willebrand's disease, and other bleeding disorders. Our center offers comprehensive medical and psychosocial care and the latest treatments available to all persons with hemophilia and other bleeding disorders.
Our hematologists, nurse specialists, physical therapists, and social workers collaborate with dentists, orthopedic surgeons, obstetricians/gynecologists, and genetic counselors. This collaborative approach ensures that you are treated as a whole person by specialists who understand bleeding disorders.
Knowing that research paves the way for positive patient outcomes, our Center joins the national network of 129 Hemophilia Treatment Centers in implementing a national database system that is utilized for research of rare blood disorders, evaluation of clinical outcomes, and development of national standards of care.
A Multidisciplinary Approach
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has published studies indicating better outcomes and fewer complications for hemophilia patients receiving treatment at a comprehensive facility. Our center emphasizes prevention services to help reduce complications, education for better disease management by patients, families and communities, and treatment when it becomes necessary.
As a full service Hemophilia Treatment Center, we provide:
- Evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of patients with bleeding disorders
- Coordination of multidisciplinary care, including:
- Dental health
- Genetic counseling
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Emotional support from a licensed clinical social worker
- Coordination of home delivery for clotting factor prescriptions and supplies
- Education and training for home treatment (self-infusion)
- Diagnostic laboratory testing
- Access to clinical trials and the latest treatments
Home Factor Delivery
Connecticut Bleeding Disorders Center now offers a convenient pharmacy program to provide factor and supplies to your home. Our program offers the same great service that other factor providers advertise, but because the proceeds from the program are poured directly into the HTC, you are ensuring our HTC will always be here to provide outstanding comprehensive healthcare to you and your family.
Our home factor program provides the following:
- UConn Health Hematologist on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- All brands of factor in a variety of vial sizes
- An extensive list of ancillary supplies at no cost to you or your family
- Shipments to your choice of location
- Coordination of in-home nursing service
- Mailable Sharps container at no cost to you
- Insurance benefit counseling and assistance in signing up for co-pay assistance programs