Application Process for the UConn General Surgery Residency Program
- All applications must be made through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service).
- All applications must include:
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Official medical school transcript
- A Personal Statement
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (formerly the Dean’s Letter)
- USMLE score for step I (and step II if available)
- COMLEX score for step I (and step II if available)
- ECFMG certification required for entrance to the residency
- J-1 visas are acceptable for those applicants who are not permanent residents
Our review committee does a holistic review and we do not have minimum for USLME scores, but they must have a passing score. The committee will begin reviewing applications on October 3, 2022.
Invites will be sent out during the week of Wednesday, October 26 and Tuesday, November 1, 2022. All interviews will be virtual using Thalamus. Interviews for the 2023 Match will be held on Friday, January 6, 2023, Saturday, January 7, 2023, Friday, January 13, 2023, Saturday, January 14, 2023 and Friday, January 20, 2023 (please note this session will begin at 8 a.m. EST). The other Friday sessions will begin at 1 p.m. EST and will be completed by 4:30 p.m. EST and the Saturday sessions will begin at 8 a.m. EST and will be completed by 11:30 a.m. EST.
For the 2023 ERAS® cycle, our program will strongly encourage all applicants to complete a supplemental ERAS application, offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants also will be required to complete the MyERAS application.
The additional information will help our program staff learn more about applicants’ medical education journey, including more meaningful information about work, volunteer, and research experiences, and help us better identify applicants who fit our program environment and mission.
Supplemental ERAS application closes for applicants at 5 p.m. EST on September 16, 2022.
Our program does not discriminate with respect to gender, race, age, religion, color, natural origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected status.
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment in all respects and for all learners.