Can I continue my medical and/or dental insurance when I leave my employment?

You will be given the opportunity to continue your medical or dental benefits, or both, when you leave. This is an enrollment in COBRA and you would pay the monthly premiums. The premiums are adjusted on an annual plan year basis (July 1). Insurance may be purchased for anyone on your insurance at time of your separation. Spouse and/or dependent(s) can purchase COBRA even if employee chooses not to. In the event of divorce, spouse must be notified of COBRA rights. These rights allow the spouse and dependent(s) to enroll in COBRA and purchase coverage.  Learn more about COBRA

How long can I continue my COBRA insurance?

When you lose insurance due to end of employment, the maximum amount of time you can continue COBRA is 18 months.

In the event that employee’s spouse or dependents lose their coverage due to the employee’s divorce or death, the spouse and dependents may continue for 36 months. A dependent reaching age 26 may also continue coverage for 36 months.

COBRA cannot be used as secondary insurance. If you elect to enroll in your employer's insurance, you must cancel COBRA.