Welcome to our residency website! The aims of our program are fourfold:
- to train consultant anesthesiologists that excel in caring for any patient in any practice environment;
- to provide an outstanding educational experience that allows for the development of lifelong skills to evaluate and master new concepts and techniques;
- to model a diverse, inclusive environment with exposure to colleagues and patients from many different backgrounds; and
- to create future practice, academic, and societal leaders.
These aims are derived from our Departmental Mission, Vision and Core Values statements (see below).
Our department is completely focused on providing optimal training and academic opportunities for our residents. The diversity and depth of our clinical training is unrivaled. The number of residents is small relative to the total number of cases performed, so residents are assigned to the cases they need to do, not those the hospital needs done. Educational opportunities are plentiful and varied. Our faculty are passionate about teaching. There are vibrant research efforts integrated into the fabric of the Department. There are also academic opportunities for residents to pursue throughout UConn.
We appreciate your interest in our residency program, and look forward to answering any questions you might have.
Howard B. Gutstein
Professor and Chair
Interim Program Director
Mission, Vision, and Values
The mission of the University Connecticut Department of Anesthesiology has four parts:
- Ensuring the health and well-being of our patients by providing outstanding clinical care. We work collaboratively with our colleagues to provide the best possible clinical outcomes for our patients.
- Training the next generation of leaders in Anesthesiology.
- Improving health care by discovery and innovation in clinical care, education, research and public service.
- Advancing career development and diversity of our people by creating an inclusive and positive work environment.
Our ultimate goal is to provide the best possible clinical outcomes for our patients.
The University Connecticut Department of Anesthesiology will be recognized as a national leader by demonstrating innovative excellence in clinical care, education, research, and public service. We will transform the perioperative process, educate broadly, and develop a cohesive, supportive culture. We will become a top destination for Anesthesiology education, research, and clinical practice.
Caring - for our patients, their loved ones, our colleagues, and each other
Integrity - maintaining the highest personal, professional and academic standards
Discovery - innovating to set new standards in patient care and education
For information regarding our program please contact:
Jane Wright, MHA
UConn School of Medicine
263 Farmington Avenue, MC 1127
Farmington, CT 06030-1127