- Managing and Surviving Change: A Practical Toolbox. Kevin Grigsby, D.S.W., March 12, 2013. (54:26)
- Read about Dynamic Empathy., a tool for managing people and working across teams.
- Delegating. Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. October 12, 2016. Step-by-step suggestions for effective delegation. (10:19)
- To Be a Great Leader, You Have to Learn How to Delegate Well. Harvard Business Review, October 10, 2017.
- Difficult Conversations: Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. June 9, 2016. Targeted for faculty who wish to be more effective at giving feedback and guidance to peers, trainees and employees. (28:03)
- How to Have Difficult Conversations When you Don't Like Conflict. May 24, 2017. J. Garfinkle. Harvard Business Review.
- Managing Up. Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. October 24, 2016. An introduction to intentionally “managing up” in our relationships with others. (23:27)
- Mentoring Made Easy: Tips and Strategies. Amy James. November 20, 2016. (53:28)
- Nature Mentoring. An online resource at Nature offering advice and support to scientist mentors and their mentees.
- Radical Candor — The Surprising Secret to Being a Good Boss. Kim Malone Scott. February 11, 2016. This is a video about giving feedback/guidance in a useful way. (21:25)
- What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: Gender Stereotypes and Academic Career Advancement. Molly Carnes, M.D., M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison. November 17, 2010. (58:27)
- Mentoring Resource Pages at Other Institutions
- Mentoring & Advising. Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan
- Becoming a Skilled Mentor: Tools, Tips, and Training Vignettes. Pauly R, Lombard G, Lansang M, Poulton W, Thorndyke L. MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2014;10:9844.
- Entering Mentoring: A Seminar to Train a New Generation of Scientists. Handelsman, J., Pfund, C., Lauffer, S.M., and Pribbenow, C. (2005). The Wisconsin Program for Scientific Teaching. This is a book describing a seminar for those learning to mentor graduate students and fellows.
- National Research Mentoring Network
- Mentoring and Being Mentored. Chapter 5 in Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty.