- The Art of ‘No’. Bernstein, R. The Chronicle of Higher Education, March 20, 2017.
- Managing and Surviving Change: A Practical Toolbox. Kevin Grigsby, D.S.W. March 12, 2013. (54:26)
- Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are. Amy Cuddy. 2012. (20:55)
National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity. UConn has an institutional membership and you can enroll by following the instructions.
- Power in Law: Lessons from the 2011 Women’s Power Summit on Law and Leadership. Read about 7 strategies for getting, using and keeping power. Chanow, L.B. and Rikleen, L.S. (2012) From the Center for Women in Law, University of Texas School of Law.
- Media Training. Media training is available for faculty members interested in improving their communication skills with the public through the news media. Media training is a great way to replace the fear and anxiety of public speaking with readiness and confidence.
- Surviving and Thriving in Academia: A Guide for Members of Marginalized Groups. American Psychological Association Committee on Women in Psychology.
- Teaching About Racism and Health Disparities in an Inclusive Environment. Zita Lazzarini, J.D., M.P.H., and David Henderson, M.D. July 28, 2016. (58:34)
- Racism Among the Well-Intentioned: Causes, Relationship to Health Disparities, and Interventions. Jack Dovidio, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology, Yale New Haven Hospital. March 24, 2016. (1:05)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Racism in Medicine Toolkit
- What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: Gender Stereotypes and Academic Career Advancement. Molly Carnes, M.D., M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison. November 17, 2010. (58:27)
- Do You Wonder What “Implicit Bias” Is? Go to Project Implicit.
- Either register, or click on “continue as guest”.
- Click on “general information about the IAT”, and the link for FAQs.
- Take one or more of the Implicit Association Tests (IAT). There are IATs for gender, race, religions, disabilities, and more.
Multiple Role Management
- Off Balance on Purpose: The Future of Engagement and Work-Life Balance. Ted Thurmon. 2013. (18:07)
- More “Not So Secret” Secrets to Work-Life Balance. Kathleen Ashton, Ph.D. (2017)
- How to Make Work-Life Balance Work. Nigel Marsh. 2010 (10:05)
Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Carol Pfeiffer, Ph.D., July 5, 2016: The Myers-Briggs type indicator will help you think about your own preferences for gathering information and using it, and how those preferences impact your interactions with others. (15:50)
- The Power of Introverts. Susan Cain. 2012. (18:56)
- Retirement Plan Summaries and Online Workshops (State of Connecticut)
- Retirement Tools and Checklists (UConn Health)
- Emeritus Faculty Appointments: See links on Faculty Handbook
- Mentoring Resource Page at Another Institution
- Mentoring and Advising. Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan
- Obtaining Mentors. Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. April 28, 2017. This video will help you identify your mentorship needs, think about who might mentor you, and how to request mentorship. (22:17)
- Being an Effective Mentee. Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. April 28, 2017. This video will help you negotiate a "contract" with a mentor, structure your time with your mentor, and gracefully end formal mentorship when the time comes. (9:21)
- Mentoring and Being Mentored. Chapter 5 in Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty.
- Introduction to Relaxation Techniques for Stress Reduction. Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. June 10, 2016. Learn about the use of relaxation techniques for the purpose of stress reduction. (5:30)
- Introduction to Stress Management. Mary Casey Jacob, Ph.D., ABPP. July 5, 2016. An introduction to the components of feeling stressed and how to begin to modify your responses to stressful situations. (25:41)
- How Successful People Stay Calm. Bradberry, T. (2014) Forbes. February 6, 2016.
- Assessment: How Mindful Are You? Carter, J., Hougaard, R. and Stembridge, R. Harvard Business Review, March 29, 2017.
Time and Email Management
- Time and Email Management. Anne Kenny, M.D. August 24, 2016. (17:15)
- In Box Zero. Merlin Mann. July 23, 2007. (58:41)
- How to Trim Your Inbox, Stop Checking Email and Be More Productive. Sabina Nawez, (2017) Inc.
- Time Management. Chapter 6 in Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty