Goals of the Program
- Train emergency physicians to be flexible, resourceful and competent when working in the setting of international disaster relief and humanitarian aid.
- Combine the M.P.H., M.D., and emergency training background with interpersonal and austere skills to develop deployment plans.
- Build on emergency medicine residency training by developing addition specific practical skills:
- Management of patients and staff in distressed settings
- Self-care and situational awareness in distressed settings
- Translation of USA emergency medicine patient care skills to low resourced areas
- Build relationships in international disaster field for future collaboration and contribute to the professionalization of the field of disaster medicine.
- Learn about, teach and contribute to evidence-based best practice in disaster medicine.
- Deploy for weeks or months to low resource, clinically challenging, culturally diverse environments for first hand experience.
- Clinical care adapting
- Professional development
- Austere environment skills
- Building nonclinical knowledge base
- Preparation for deployment