Welcome Message from the Director
The University of Connecticut Hand Surgery Fellowship is a 1 year, ACGME accredited program. The fellowship is structured to provide advanced training in reconstructive hand surgery. Core faculty include fellowship-trained hand surgeons that are board-certified in orthopedics and plastic surgery. Additional faculty are drawn from the Department of Orthopedics and the Division of Plastic Surgery at Hartford Hospital.
Our program offers:
- Experience in post-traumatic, degenerative, and congenital reconstructive surgery
- Exposure to the management of acute hand trauma, including replantation
- Opportunity to supervise the weekly Hartford Hospital Hand Clinic
- Monthly surgical simulation labs
- Training courses in microsurgery and flaps
- National and regional conferences
- Weekly hand conferences and journal clubs
- Preparation assistance for Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand
- Protected time for research
We have been training leading hand surgeons for over 50 years and we are proud of our program legacy.
Duffield Ashmead, M.D.
Hand Surgery Program Director