Minimally Invasive Surgery
Our spine team is experienced in the most advanced minimally-invasive surgical procedures. In fact, it is our preferred surgical method when possible, because of the benefits it offers patients. The minimally invasive procedures we perform range from the removal of herniated disc material to the correction of complex spinal deformities.
Minimally invasive surgery can be faster, safer, and require less recovery time than open spine surgery. The American Association of Neurological Surgeons has identified the following potential benefits:
- Reduced risk of infection and post-operative pain
- Less blood loss from surgery
- Reduced risk of muscle damage since less or no cutting of the muscle is required
- Faster recovery and less rehabilitation required
- Diminished reliance on pain medications after surgery
- Smaller incisions that can be less than one inch and no staples or stitches to remove
- Better cosmetic results from smaller skin incisions
In addition, some minimally invasive surgeries are performed as outpatient procedures allowing you to recover at home. These surgeries often utilize only local anesthesia so there is less risk for an adverse reaction to general anesthesia.
In minimally invasive procedures, our surgeons often utilize a robotic guidance system to operate with great precision, flexibility, and control.
Struggling with back pain? Curious whether minimally invasive surgery may be an option for you? We would be happy to review all of the options and help select the best course of treatment for you.