What is REDCap?
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure database driven software used to create research-oriented data capture forms and surveys. . REDCap is maintained by the REDCap Consortium which is comprised of over 600 institutional partners including UConn Health. Originally developed at Vanderbilt University and funded by the NIH, REDCap continues to be enhanced and maintained by a large consortium of biomedical institutions. More Info
- Easy-to-build projects without advanced programming knowledge.
- Smart forms with auto-validation and branching/skip logic.
- Extensive question types including: matrix questions, rating scales, textboxes, radio buttons, drop-downs, and file uploads.
- Rapid design and deployment (in less than one day) for live data collection.
- Multiple collection modes: online data collection in the field (via the web) or onsite.
- Anonymous or identified survey responses.
- Ability to save forms as PDF files that can be printed for paper-based data collection.
- Automated data exports to common data analysis tools, such as Excel, SAS, SPSS, Stata, & R.
- Ability to reuse forms for multiple study events or waves.
- Project calendaring for managing data collection events and study visits.
- Ad hoc reporting.
- Convenient web authentication using the Health Center’s domain account system.
- High security and access to data over an encrypted web connection.
How Researchers use REDCap
- Administering simple recruitment surveys
- Collecting data for low-budget clinical trials
- Supporting operational activities such as class registration or evaluation
- Tracking adverse events
- Creating longitudinal studies with automatic follow-up surveys
- Administrating multi-site studies
- Eliminating double data entry
REDCap Data Collection Modes
- REDCap Survey is similar to SurveyMonkey, which allows you to collect responses directly from research participants.
- REDCap Case Report Form creates an electronic database, which allows you to enter information through direct transcription or by uploading existing data files.
Your project can include both.
Security & Human Subjects Research Data
All data stored on our servers at the Health Center are protected by multiple firewalls. Remote access from outside the Health Center is provided securely over an encrypted web connection. In addition, the software allows you to identify and protect fields that contain Protected Health Information (PHI) data by employing fine-grained user rights that are set by the study administrator to control who can view, modify, or add data and/or forms. We recommend that projects do not collect unnecessary identifiable information and the minimal amount of PHI data possible. All activities are also system logged, and are available in a full audit trail.
REDCap employs a streamlined process enabling you to rapidly develop a project:
- REGISTER by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a link to our online registration application. Once we receive your completed application, we will create your account.
- LEARN more about REDCap by watching a brief summary video (4 min). If you would like to view other more detailed video tutorials of REDCap in action and an overview of its features, please see our Training Resources page.
- DEFINE your data variables and relevant properties.
- CREATE your REDCap database online as you go or upload a Microsoft Excel .csv spreadsheet to render your database in the Test (Sandbox) system.
- PREVIEW your database, add study staff and access rights, and test the functionality.
- REVISE your database or survey by making necessary changes and re-test.
- DEPLOY your database to the production environment and start collecting your data.
For any other questions or to request access to REDCap, email email@example.com.