With a break from the typical school year routine, many parents explore camp options. Camp offers children the opportunity for social growth and enrichment experiences in a supportive, active setting. Finding the right program or camp for your child takes time and planning. As you begin your search, you will want to consider the following:
- What do I want my child to gain from the camp experience?
- Am I looking for a recreational program or one with a therapy-based curriculum?
- Would my child do best among children with similar challenges or with typically developing peers?
- Does the camp provide support around behavioral, communication or sensory challenges?
- What types of activities will my child engage in?
- Is there a predictable routine?
- Are the camp location and environment appropriate and convenient?
- How many camp hours can my child manage each day?
- Is transportation provided?
- Is the cost manageable–or–are there opportunities for scholarships?
- What are the qualifications of the camp staff?
- What is the ratio of adults–to–campers?
- Who is in charge of the program and what is the organization’s philosophy?
- Is the staff trained to handle medical concerns?
- Is the environment friendly to my child’s diet restrictions?
Channel 3 Kids Camp offers summer camp and year-round programming. Each year over 4,000 children ages 6-16 from Connecticut and areas throughout New England attend the Channel 3 Kids Camp in Andover, CT.
The Connecticut Family Support Network also has a list of recreational resources.
Other places to find summer programming and camp opportunities:
- Search Online
- Check social media networking sites
- Ask teachers, counselors and coaches at your child’s school
- Ask other parents
- Check your local church, your town Parks and Recreation Department, or the YMCA
Recommend an article or other resource
Please note: The Adoption Assistance Program (AAP) does not promote or endorse any websites, organizations or individuals that may be linked from this site. The AAP does not guarantee the accuracy of the information or the appropriateness of advice for a particular situation. It is our intent to assist users in their search for reliable and useful sources of information pertaining to adoption, legal guardianship, and parenting.