Assistant Professor (In Residence)
Assistant Professor (Adjunct)
Ph.D. Biomedical Science Student
I am a graduate student in Cell Biology working in Dr. Jaffe’s lab. I previously completed my M.S. in Agriculture working with Dr. Fernando Campos-Chillon on the metabolism and cryopreservation of in vitro produced cattle embryos. During my Master’s, I became interested in the oocyte and how meiotic arrest is maintained within the ovarian follicle. Now, I study the luteinizing hormone receptor expression and the signaling pathways that are activated when luteinizing hormone binds to its receptor.
(A) Preovulatory follicle from an ovary of an immature HA-LHR mouse that was injected 44 hours previously with eCG. HALHR in green, DAPI-labeled nuclei in blue. Maximum projection of 10 confocal images taken at 1 µm intervals. (B) High magnification image of a single section from a region of the follicle in A. The dotted line indicates the basal lamina.
Baena, V., Owen, C.M., Uliasz, T.F., Lowther, K.M., Yee, S.-P., Terasaski, M., Egbert, J.E., and Jaffe, L.A. (2020). Cellular heterogeneity of the LH receptor and its significance for cyclic GMP signaling in mouse preovulatory follicles. Endocrinology (in press).
Egbert, J.R., Fahey, P.G., Reimer, J., Owen, C.M, Evsikov, A.V., Nikolaev, V.O., Griesbeck, O., Ray, R.S., Tolias, A.S., and Jaffe, L.A. (2019) Follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone increase Ca2+ in the granulosa cells of mouse ovarian follicles.pdf. Biol. Reprod., 101(2), 433–444.
Research Assistant 3
I am a research assistant in the Department of Cell Biology working jointly in the labs of Dr. Laurinda Jaffe and Dr. Lisa Mehlmann. Both labs are interested in the signaling pathways that regulate meiotic cell cycling. In the Jaffe lab, I have been involved in the study of the regulation and activity of guanylyl cyclase (NPR2) and its ligand CNP, which function to maintain high levels of cGMP in the ovarian follicle and meiotic arrest of the oocyte. We are investigating how luteinizing hormone regulates this system to cause meiosis to resume. In the Mehlmann lab the work I am involved in is focused on how the signaling pathway of the constitutively active GPR3 receptor regulates cAMP levels which is also involved in the maintenance of meiotic arrest.
Research Assistant 2
Past Lab Members
- Seth Lapuk (Postbac, 1982-1983), Pediatric Cardiologist, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Hartford, CT, and Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics UConn School of Medicine
- Ana Iglesias (Postbac, 1983-1984), Professor, Universidad Politechnica de Madrid, Spain
- Lyanne Schlichter (Postdoc, 1983-1984), Professor, University of Toronto, Canada
- Lavinia (Muncy) Ross (Research Assistant, 1984-1990, 2001-2003), Musician, Sweet Home, OR
- Doug Kline (Postdoc, 1985-1988), Emeritus Professor, Kent State University
- Paul Turner (Ph.D., 1987), Field Applications Specialist, Affymetrics
- Kazuyoshi Chiba (Postdoc, 1988-1989), Professor, Ochanomizu University, Tokyo, Japan
- Fraser Shilling (Postdoc, 1991-1993), Co-Director, Road Ecology Center, University of California, Davis
- Chris Gallo (Postdoc, 1991-1995), Director, BioProcess Research and Development, Pfizer, Andover, MA
- David Carroll (Ph.D., 1996), Professor, Florida Institute of Technology
- David Serwanski (Research Assistant, 1995-2002), Retired
- Linda Runft (Ph.D., 2000), Medical Writing Senior Manager, Amgen Inc.
- Lisa Mehlmann (Postdoc, 1996-2001), Associate Professor, UConn Health Center, CT
- Andrew Giusti (Postdoc, 2000-2002), Deceased
- Rebecca Kalinowski (Ph.D., 2004), Director at Expense Reduction Analysts, Hartford. Specializing in Medical, Pharmaceutical, and Laboratory Cost Reduction
- Leon Freudzon (Postbac, 2004-2005), Assistant Professor and Associate Fellowship Program Director, Anesthesiology, Yale School of Medicine.
- Marina Freudzon (Undergraduate Honors Student and Postbac, 2005-2007), Dermatologist, Kaiser Permanente, Atlanta GA
- Mikhail Tsesis (Postbac, 2009-10), Dentist, Putnam, CT
- Rachael Norris (Ph.D., 2009), Postdoc, UConn Health Center, CT
- William Ratzan (Ph.D., 2011), Postdoc, Montana State University, MT
- Valentina Baena (Postbac, 2013-2015), Graduate Student, UConn Health Center
- Giulia Vigone (Postdoc 2015-2020), Lecturer, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University.
- Luisa Lestz (Postbac 2019-2020), Nursing Student, Vanderbilt University