The surgical pathology service is staffed by five full-time anatomic pathologists with a range of specialty interests. Specialty interests include:
- Breast and gynecologic pathology including placental pathology: Melinda Sanders, M.D.
- Gastrointestinal and liver pathology: Faripour A. Forouhar, M.D.
- Uropathology including renal biopsy pathology: Harold T. Yamase, M.D.
- Endocrine pathology: Poornima Hegde, M.D.
- Neuropathology: Qian Wu, M.D., M.Sci.
Biopsies received in the department prior to noon can be available for same day sign-out or will be completed the following morning, unless additional studies are needed. Larger cases needing fixation may take two days to complete.
Frozen sections are performed in the main operating room suite or in the department.