Trauma, incarceration, and justice across the life course: Transforming systems for behavioral health equity among boys and men of color.
UConn Health Disparities Institute is proud to present the State of Health Equity Among Boys and Men of Color Summit. This unprecedented global Summit will feature solutions-driven, interactive, and high-powered sessions that employ arts-based approaches along with intergenerational dialogues designed to amplify youth voice. The aim of this virtual convening is to ignite public discourse and action that will advance health equity, racial justice, and systems change for radical healing among boys and men of color. Our opening keynote address will be delivered by Dr. Arthur Evans, Jr., Chief Executive Officer and Executive Vice President of the American Psychological Association.
Access the BMOC Digital Toolkit...
The Summit Digital Toolkit, designed and developed by the UConn Health Disparities Institute, includes tools and resources for attendees to keep building the knowledge and skills necessary to follow through on the summit’s call to action: transform systems for radical healing and health equity among boys and men of color. It is a one-stop curation of resources to continue conversations, deepen learning, and apply new knowledge and activate change for Boys and Men of Color (BMOC).
In order to make this event as inclusive and accessible as possible, we offered a limited amount of ticket scholarships to those who were in need of financial support to attend the event. The application for scholarship requests is now closed. Thank you.
Registration has closed...
Opening Keynote Speaker
Dr. Arthur Evans
Chief Executive Officer
American Psychological Association
Mr. Akeem Browder
Founder and President
Kalief Browder Foundation
Dr. Howard Stevenson
Professor of Urban Education & Africana Studies, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
Director, Racial Empowerment Collaborative
Dr. Wizdom Powell
Director, Health Disparities Institute
Associate Professor of Psychiatry, UConn Health
Dr. David Ikard
Professor of African American and Diaspora Studies
Mr. Marc Philpart
Managing Director, PolicyLink
Principal Coordinator, Alliance for Boys and Men of Color
On the Agenda
The Summit will feature high intensity, ignite-style main stage speakers that craft compelling narratives, including many nationally renowned leaders known for their health equity work among boys and men of color. There will also be engaging breakout sessions and skills-based workshops that connect the dots between the shared narratives, practical solutions (research, policy, etc.), and measurable outcomes. These sessions will leave attendees with skills, tools, and resources to advance health equity and racial justice among boys and men of color. The Summit will also include a companion event: the Ideas Lab, an incubator focused on developing and providing seed funding for innovative solutions to complex problems by harnessing the collective creative energy of a multi-sector team. See the schedule at a glance here and the full event agenda here.
Summit in the News
UConn Health Disparities Institute to Host State of Health Equity Among Boys and Men of Color Summit (MetroHartford Alliance)
Announcements and Press Releases
- African Caribbean American Parents of Children with Disabilities, Inc. (AFCAMP)
- ALM’s Ministries International, Inc.
- Boys and Girls Club of Hartford
- Capital Community College students
- City of Hartford Ryan White Program
- Hartford Communities that Care
- Hartford HealthCare
- Hispanic Health Council, Inc.
- Institute of Living/Behavioral Health Network
- Jonathan Johnson
- Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation
- My People Clinical Services
- National Association of Health Services Executives (NAHSE) CT
- National Healthy Start Association
- The Bridge Family Center, Inc.
- Trinity Health of New England
- UConn ScHOLA2RS House
- UConn Office of the Provost
- UConn Asian and Asian American Studies Institute (AAASI)
- UConn Institute for Collaboration on Health, Intervention, and Policy (InCHIP)
- UConn Health, Department of
- UConn Health, Center for Trauma Recovery and Juvenile Justice and Center for Treatment of Developmental Trauma Disorder
- University of North Carolina, Center for Health Equity Research
- Urban League of Greater Hartford
- W. Montague Cobb/NMA Health Institute