The Department of Rehabilitation at UConn Health offers physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services to patients hospitalized in our University Tower and Connecticut Tower. Our therapy team is part of the patient’s larger inter-professional team of providers. Based upon a comprehensive evaluation and individual treatment responses, we make recommendations regarding safety, mobility, function, and/or diet throughout the hospital stay as well as during the discharge process.
Physical Therapy Goals
- Improve range of motion, strength, posture, mobility, balance, and gait.
- Recommend appropriate assistive devices (walkers, canes, crutches) and instruct in safe use.
- Recommend safe discharge disposition (home, rehab, home with PT services).
- Recommend safe mobility while the patient is in the hospital.
Occupational Therapy Goals
- Improve self care tasks, assess cognition, improve strength, balance, coordination, assess safety with medication management, splinting/positioning, educate on energy conservation strategies.
- Recommend compensatory strategies and adaptive equipment to improve independence with self care.
- Recommend safe discharge disposition (home, rehab, home with OT services).