This module will give the participant a thorough understanding of SBIRT using the WHO ASSIST protocol.
The aims of this module are to provide answers to the following questions:
- Does screening and brief intervention for alcohol and other substance misuse meet the prerequisites for a public health approach to substance use disorders?
- What is the research base for screening and brief intervention?
Objectives: Upon completion of this module, participants will learn:
- What screening and brief intervention is and why it is important from a public health perspective
- How the ASSIST screening test was developed
- The evidence base for screening and brief intervention
- Why screening with the ASSIST is useful to detect problematic substance use
- The problems related to different levels of substance use and types of substances
Course Delivery: Online self-paced course, open enrollment. Training materials include one video and readings.
Training Video: SBIRT Module I Training Video (Please use Internet Explorer for the best viewing experience.)