CICATS Staff Feature: Dr. Chia-Ling Kuo

Each month CICATS will be featuring an interview with a member of our staff. This month we are highlighting Dr. Chia-Ling Kuo of our biostatistics team.

Tell us about your role at CICATS.

I am a senior biostatistician in CICATS. I help residents and fellows with their research projects. I co-apply grants with other investigators as a co-investigator and develop my own research projects and grants with topics inspired by my collaborative work.

What do you enjoy most about your position?

I enjoy working with folks in other disciplines so I don’t always think inside my box. The communication itself is fun. It is like people who speak different languages need to get a task done. I learn what I need to know and at this point I am proud to say that I know everything at a level that is enough to impress people who don’t know anything.

What are some of your challenges?

It is challenging that I have to support 100% of my salary. It is more challenging that people see my efforts as hours that I spend on a project and value experiments more than my expertise.

Tell us about a recent success.

I am fortunate to have a R21 funded recently that supports 30% of my salary.

What do you enjoy outside of work?

I randomly find things to do with my family mostly for my daughter. I guess my husband and I also enjoy kid-friendly activities. When we are at home, we enjoy being with our two dogs.

Dr. Kuo Chia-Ling Kuo can be reached at 860-679-2897 or by email at kuo@uchc.edu.