National Medal of Technology and Innovation

Laurencin Receives White House Honors

By Cato T. Laurencin, M.D., Ph.D.

On May 19th, 2016 I was extremely honored to receive the National Medal of Technology and Innovation from President Barrack Obama at the White House. This marks the third time I have received White House honors. I was the recipient of the Presidential Faculty Fellow Award from President Bill Clinton for work bridging engineering and medicine, and the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Math, and Engineering Mentoring from President Obama.

image004
Photos: National Science & Technology Medals Foundation, UConn Health, The National Academy of Inventors

In a press release issued by the White House, President Obama stated, “Science and technology are fundamental to solving some of our nation’s biggest challenges. The knowledge produced by these Americans today will carry our country’s legacy of innovation forward and continue to help countless others around the world. Their work is a testament to American ingenuity.”

The National Medal of Technology and Innovation is America’s highest honor for technological achievement. I give thanks to my family, teachers, mentors, colleagues, and students for inspiring me each and every day. What has been accomplished on this journey is in large part due to them.

Since the announcement of my receiving the National Medal of Technology we have embarked on a number of new and exciting initiatives. These include the Hartford Engineering a Limb Project (HEAL), and the launch of our new Journal, Regenerative Engineering and Translational Medicine.

To watch the ceremony, visit The White House Official YouTube channel.

This entry was posted in Awards.