Commencement Thoughts

I was truly honored and proud to participate in the Health Center’s Commencement exercises for the first time as Vice President for Health Affairs and Dean of the School of Medicine at the University of Connecticut. The School of Medicine and the School of Dental Medicine graduated women and men who were trained by the finest faculty, inspired by their fellow students, and supported by family and friends. These new physicians and dentists embark on a journey well prepared to tackle the challenging face of modern healthcare. I hope they will continue to be passionate about their work, be open to new ideas, and be generous to the people who need them. As caretakers of patients, our goal is to heal some, help many, but comfort all.

The Graduate School also participated in the ceremony, and for the first time, Ph.D. students graduated alongside their physician and dentist colleagues. As someone who has obtained a Ph.D., I well know what a grueling and uncertain task it is. The average student now spends between five and seven years completing their degree. As they embark upon careers of scientific inquiry, I wish them well.

Click on the small images for larger views.