Important Information for Travel Visits
- This appointment will consist of a travel consultation and possible immunizations. The final decision to administer vaccinations lies with the physician after careful review of the situation.
- Before you arrive, please fill out the Travel Clinic Questionnaire. Once you schedule an appointment, the questionnaire can be found in your MyChart account, our secure online patient portal. If you don’t yet have a MyChart account through UConn Health, enrollment only takes a few minutes and will allow you to access all your patient information in one place. If you cannot create a MyChart account, you can complete a fillable questionnaire, print it, and bring it to your appointment.
- Minors must have a parent present at the appointment.
- Visits typically last at least one hour. Thirty minutes with the provider and then an additional 15 to 30 minutes with the nurse.
- It is important to have details of your itinerary so the doctor can make a thorough assessment of the health risks.
- Bring prior immunization records with you (even if you have been seen at UConn Health before) to this appointment, including prior travel-related vaccination records (yellow card) as well as pediatric immunization records for any children who are being seen. If you do not bring these immunization records, you or your child may not be seen.
- Contact your insurance carrier so you are aware of your coverage.
- The travel consultation with the doctor will be billed as Preventive Counseling. It cannot be billed as an office visit.
- The Preventive Counseling fee for each person will average $145.00. The cost may be higher (up to $260.00) depending on complexity of travel consultation.
- The CPT codes used for Preventive Counseling are 99401, 99402, 99403, 99404, 99411 or 99412. One code will be billed depending on how detailed your visit is and how many people are involved in the visit (i.e., two or more people traveling together). You should check for coverage of each of these codes with your insurance company prior to your visit.
- You will be charged an immunization fee for each immunization given.
- Cost of immunizations vary greatly but typically range from $50.00 to $160.00 per shot.
- In general, your visit will cost between $200.00 and $500.00.
- You will be billed for any services your insurance does not cover.
- If your insurance requires you to obtain a referral from your primary care physician be sure to follow-through; if a required referral is not obtained you cannot be seen.