It is very important that the following instructions be followed exactly.
- Within one month of your scheduled procedure, you are required to have blood samples taken to make sure your blood clots properly. We must have results by the time of your procedure.
- Do not take blood thinners, aspirin, Aleve, Advil, Motrin, ibuprofen, or similar arthritis medications for a least a week before your procedure.
- Take your other daily medications unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight. Up to and including the day before the procedure, take any usual medications.
Day of Procedure
- On the morning of the day of the procedure, if you have high blood pressure or diabetes, do not take blood pressure medications or insulin. Bring those medications with you to take after the procedure. All other usual medications should be taken with a sip of water.
- Dress casually and comfortably. You will be required to remove your clothing for the biopsy. Please do not bring valuables with you.
- Someone will need to drive you to and from the hospital. Do not drive yourself. If you have not made arrangements for someone to drive you, your examination will be cancelled. Public transportation (cab, limo, bus, etc.) is not acceptable.
- Please arrive at least one hour prior to your exam.
- You will be directed to an area where a nurse will start an intravenous line. Then, you will be brought to a procedure room where you will lie on your back, with your right arm raised above your head. To ensure your complete attention and cooperation, no sedation will be given. You will be asked to hold your breath while your liver is located and marked using an ultrasound. You will be given an injection of numbing medication to that area. Once the area is numb, the physician will insert the biopsy needle and obtain a sample of liver tissue. This procedure takes about 15 minutes. Immediately following the procedure, a dressing will be placed on your skin where the biopsy was taken.
- After your procedure, you will be transported to a recovery room where you will be observed for approximately three hours. This is to be sure that everything is fine before you go home.
- Be sure that you have blood work drawn within one month before your procedure.
- Stop aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, Coumadin, pradaxa, or any other blood thinners for at least 1 week before your procedure.
- Arrive at least one hour before your scheduled procedure.
- Arrange for someone to drive you to and from the hospital.
- No lifting or bending for 24 hours after your procedure.
If you have any questions about your procedure, please call the GI Clinic at 860-679-6446 or 860-679-3278.
Biopsy results should be available in one to two weeks.