A State-Wide Program of the Connecticut Area Health Education Center
To expose undergraduate students to health careers through service learning experiences that promote preventative health care to underserved communities at a state-wide level.
The Collegiate Health Service Corps is a training program and service-learning experience for undergraduate students. A program coordinator and interactive peer learning groups guide all students. The program specifically targets first-year students, undecided majors, and those interested in health care fields to provide information about various health careers.
- Core Training: Initial training session with presentations and activities that include topics such as Eliminating Health Disparities, Professionalism and Ethics, Health Promotion and Health Literacy. Training is followed by 25 hours of service-learning and upon completion students receive a certificate.
- Intermediate Training: Second training session conducted after approximately 25 hours of service learning. Students will be educated in Emergency Preparedness and certified in First Aid at no cost. An additional 25 hours of service-learning will mark the completion of Intermediate Training. Students receive a certificate upon completion.
- Advanced Training: Third training session conducted after approximately 50 hours of service learning. Students will have the benefit of being CPR certified at no cost. An additional 25 hours of service learning will mark the completion of Advanced Training and upon completion students receive a certificate.
- Program Completion: After a minimum of 75 hours of service learning and attending all three trainings, students will be awarded with a formal letter recognizing their accomplishments.
- Students will increase their awareness of various health occupations and interdisciplinary health teams.
- Undecided students will gain experience in the health care field.
- Student will increase their awareness and capacity to develop their cultural competency skills as future health care providers.
- UConn, Storrs and UConn, Waterbury
- Eastern and Central Connecticut State Universities
- Fairfield University, University of Bridgeport, and University of Saint Joseph
For More Information
Eastern AHEC, Inc.