Community-based Nutrition Research
Husky Nutrition On-the-Go: Sugary Drink Reduction
Journal Articles (Refereed)
- Effectiveness of an IMB-based intervention for reducing sweetened beverages in preschool children. ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2019 May 21. NCT03957148.
- Lora, K.R., Davy, B, Hedrick, V., Ferris, A.M., Anderson, M.P. Wakefield, D. 2016. Assessing initial validity and reliability of a beverage intake questionnaire in Hispanic preschool-aged children. J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 116:1951-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2016.06.376. Epub 2016 Aug 21. PMID: 27554270
- Lora, K.R., Hubbs-Tait, L. Ferris, A.M., Wakefield, D. 2016. African-America and Hispanic children’s beverage intake: Differences in associations with desire to dring, fathers’ feeding practices, and weight concerns. Appetite. 107:558-567. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2016.09.012. Epub 2016 Sep 13. PMID:27620644
- Goodell, L.S., R. Amico, M. Pierce, and A.M. Ferris. 2012. Parental Information, Motivation, and Behavioral Skills Correlate with Child Sweetened Beverage Consumption. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior.44:240-5. : DOI:10.1016/jneb.2010.07.012.
- Pierce, M. B., Havens, E. K.., Poehlitz, M., Ferris. A. M. 2012. Evaluation of a Community Nutrition Service-Learning Program: Changes to Student Leadership and Cultural Competence. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal. 56 (3):10 – 16.
- Pierce, M.B., K. A. Hudson, K.R. Lora, E.K. Havens, and A.M. Ferris. 2011. The Husky Byte Program: Delivering Nutrition Education One Sound Byte at a Time. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 43:135-7.
Abstracts of Presented Papers (Peer Reviewed)
- Lora, L., A. Ferris,, Wakefield. 2015. Intra-month Availability of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages (SSB) in the Homes of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Preschoolers FASEB J. 29: April 2015 (suppl):903.7
- Lora, K., L. Hubbs-Tait, A. FerrisA, M. Anderson. 2015. Relationships between Fathers' Feeding Practices and Preschool Children's Beverage Intake. FASEB J. 29: April 2015 (suppl.):395.2
- Ferris, A.M., D.B. Wakefield, K. Lora, C. Quesada. 2014. Caretakers receiving SNAP are responsive to education to reduce preschool child sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) consumption. FASEB J April 2014 28:252.8
- Lora, K., D.B. Wakefield, A.M. Ferris 2014. Association of parental emotional feeding with preschool child intake of sugar-sweetened beverages FASEB J April 2014 28:252.7
- Lora, K., D. B. Wakefield, A. M. Ferris. 2013. Caregivers’ Behavioral Skills Associated with Preschool Children Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages (SSBs). FASEB J, April 9, 2013. 27:37.3.
- Ferris, A. M., D. B. Wakefield, C. Quesada, K. Lora. 2013. Reduction in Average Child Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages without Decrease in Home Inventory. FASEB J, April 9, 2013. 27:37.5.
- Coleman, A. S., A. M. Ferris. 2013. Fathers’ Buying Habits Related to Increased Sweetened Beverage Consumption in Preschool Children. FASEB J, April 9, 2013. 27:1063.2.
- Quesada, C., E. A. Schilling, A. M. Ferris, K. Lora. 2013. Caregivers Knowledge of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages is Associated with Availability of this Type of Beverages in the Home. FASEB J, April 9, 2013. 27:344.4.
- Schilling, E. A., C. Quesada, A. M. Ferris, K. Lora. 2013. Latino Caregivers are Less Assertive with Family and Friends about their Child’s Beverage Consumption of 100% Fruit Juice. FASEB J, April 9, 2013. 27:841.22.
- Yarbrough, K., E. A. Schilling, A. M. Ferris. 2013. Food Security and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Participation Associated with Home Availability and Preschool Child Consumption of 100% Fruit Juice. FASEB J, April 9, 2013. 27:1054.12
- Wakefield, D.B., A.M. Ferris, and K. Lora 2013. Composition of Beverages in the Homes of Low-Income Families in Greater Hartford, CT FASEB JApril 9, 2013 27:842.20
- Glenn, D.R., K. Lora, D. Wakefield, D. 2013. Predictors of Sugar-Sweetened Beverage (SSB) Consumption Classification among Urban Low Income Pre-School Children. FASEB J. 27: Apr. 2013 (Suppl): 232.2
- Ferris, A.M., D.B. Wakefield, S. Wei, 2012. At-home sweetened beverage consumption in minority, low-income children and caretakers. FASEB J March 29, 2012 26:264.7
- Lora, K., C. Quesada, D. B. Wakefield, A. M. Ferris. 2012. Association of the Parental Feeding Practices and Type and Home Availability of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Fruit Juice of Preschool Children from Low Income Families. FASEB J March 29, 2012 26:380.2
- Quesada, C., K. Lora, D.B. Wakefield, A. M. Ferris, 2012. Child Characteristics Drive Parental Feeding Practices in African American and Latino Parents. FASEB J. 2012;26:1011.1
- Ferris, A. M., K. Lora, C. Quesada, D.B. Wakefield. 2012. Effectiveness of an Information, Motivation, Behavior (IMB)- based theoretical model for reducing sugar sweetened beverage (SSB) consumption in preschool children. Society of Nutrition Education Annual Meeting (AFRI Group), Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, Volume 44, Issue 4, Supplement , Page S83, July 2012
- Lora, K., C. Quesada, D. B. Wakefield, A. M. Ferris. 2012. How Does Parental Concern Over Child Weight Influence Parental Feeding Practices? Proceeding Annual Meeting of the International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA). Austin, TX. May, Abstr. 146079)
- Lora, K., C. Quesada, D. B. Wakefield, A. M. Ferris. 2012. Age of the Caregiver Is Associated with More Desirable Feeding Practices. Proceedings of International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA) 2012 Pre-Conference Workshop, May. 20-22, 2012, Houston, TX.
- Coleman, A.S., K. Lora, A. Ferris, 2011. Evaluating parental perceptions of university students as agents of education. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Abstr. 248953.
- Lora, K. R., C. Quesada, D.B. Wakefield, A.M. Ferris. 2011. Parental perception of child’s weight affects child’s feeding practices. FASEB J., 25:99.3 (Abstr.)
- Quesada, C., K.R. Lora, D.B. Wakefield, A.M. Ferris 2011. Latino and African-American parents of preschool children differ in their feeding practices. FASEB J. 25:781.26.
- Goodell, L.S., K.R. Amico, M.B. Pierce, and A.M. Ferris. 2008. An information-motivation-behavioral skills model for child sweetened beverage consumption. FASEB J April 5, 2008 22:678.2
- Drake R.E., M.B. Pierce, L.S. Goodell, and A.M. Ferris 2007. Selection of beverages for young children: The decision process of low resource urban parents. FASEB J April 18, 2007 21:A674