A top priority for the Schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine has long been the recruitment and retention of students from diverse groups who are underrepresented in American health care professions.
The Department of Health Career Opportunity Programs actively recruits medical and dental students who are first generation, educationally under-resourced, and/or reside in a designated health professional shortage area. The Department also supports students who are enrolled throughout the academic year with mentoring and professional development opportunities.
The continuous pathway of programs has been successful in helping participants realize their dreams of becoming health care providers. The programs are therefore instrumental in aiding the development of the future health career workforce in the U.S.
In the News
Power of Possible
Health Professions Partnership Initiative Programs
Middle School Students
High School Students
- Bridge to the Future Science Mentoring Program
- High School Mini Medical/Dental School Program
- High School Student Research Apprentice Program
- Jumpstart Doctors Academy
- Junior Doctors Academy
- Pre-College Academic Enrichment Program: UConn Storrs
- Pre-College Academic Enrichment Program: Central Connecticut State University
- Pre-College Research Program
- Senior Doctors Academy