The Office of Physician-Scientist Career Development is an entry point for medical students interested in exploring research and a career in academic medicine. The Office also works closely with the M.D./Ph.D. Combined Degree Program in providing support and mentorship to its students, who have already made a commitment to pursue a physician-scientist career. The UConn M.D./Ph.D. Program page is an excellent resource for current and prospective students.
Medical students can participate in research opportunities through a variety of options that may span one month to several years, including:
- Individualized research projects for elective credit.
- Summer research with faculty mentors. UConn Health Medical/Dental Student Summer Research Program.
- The Fifth-Year Enrichment Program: Seek funding for a one year research experience typically (but not always) following the second year of medical school. One possibility for such a one-year research experience, and funding to support it, is available from the Center for Molecular Oncology. Other mechanisms that should be considered include: Pathology Fellowship.
- In certain situations a medical or M.D./Ph.D. student’s schedule may allow the option of spending several months at another academic institution. One possibility for funding to partially or fully support such an experience may be the CMO Future Physician-Scientist/Clinical Investigator Career Development Award.
- Research interests in public and health care management and organization may be pursued through participation in the combined degree programs, M.D./M.P.H. or M.D./M.B.A.
- Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Research.
- An M.D./Ph.D. which requires an additional three to five-year commitment.
Students are encouraged to contact the Director to discuss these opportunities further.
Selected Grants, Awards, Opportunities
- Physician-Scientists: NIAID Launches New Funding Opportunity
- NIDDK Medical Student Research Program in Diabetes
- NIH Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research
- HHMI Research Training Fellowships for Medical Students
- NIH Year-Off Training Program
- NIH Clinical Research Center: Medical Research Scholars Program
- HHMI/NIH Research Scholars Program
- Physician-Scientist Career Enhancement Travel Award in Molecular Medicine
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
For M.D./Ph.D. Combined Degree Students:
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral M.D./Ph.D. Fellows
(from NIDDK; also available from other institutes, links pending)
Physician-Scientist Discussion Sessions and Colloquia
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the distribution list for announcements of these sessions.
- April 15, 2019 – Dr. Robert Colbert
- April 9, 2018 – Dr. Stephanie Eisenbarth
- February 7, 2017 – Dr. Margaret H. Baron
- March 21, 2016 – Dr. Michael Rosenblum
- March 25, 2015 – Dr. Christine Seidman
- March 10, 2014 – Dr. Barry Coller
- March 4, 2013 – Dr. Kenneth Kaushansky
- March 7, 2011 – Dr. Andrew I. Schafer
Literature Related to the Physician-Scientist Career Path
Career Development Resources
- Career Development – Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Clinical and Translational Science Network – Career
- Clinical and Translational Science Network – Community
- NIH Physician-Scientist
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- American Physician Scientists Association (APSA)
- AFMR Career Development Workshop