Vegetable and Parmesan Penne
- 3 cups fresh eggplant peeled, small diced, 1/4″
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh yellow onion
- 1/3 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-pint fresh cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1-pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/2-pound fresh spinach chopped
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt. Transfer to a colander and place a weight on top. Allow the eggplant to drain for 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and red pepper flakes. Sweat until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Dredge the seasoned and drained eggplant in the flour and add to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly cooked. Add cherry tomatoes to skillet and season with pepper. Cool an additional 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain and reserve some of the cooking water.
- Toss pasta in the skillet with the sauce and the spinach. Allow the spinach to wilt slightly. Add the reserved cooking water in small amounts at a time until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Top with the shredded parmesan cheese and basil.
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Protein 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Sodium: 360mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 5g