Mock Baked “Potato” Soup
- 8 Slices of bacon, chopped, sauteed, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-6 cups grated cauliflower (1 small head)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce (or more or less)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (more for topping as desired)
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/4 cup broth.
- in 1 tbsp of chicken broth saute onion, celery,bacon drippings, and garlic in a large pot until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add cauliflower and water to the pot; stir occasionally, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining chicken broth and milk and bring to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in flour to chicken broth mixture while stirring. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Turn off heat. Slowly stir in cheddar cheese until smooth. Mix in half the cooked bacon.
- Serve with shredded cheese, cooked bacon, and green onions, if desired.
Recipe adapted from iowagirleats.com