Christmas Breakfast Casserole
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (9 ounce) box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (see Tip)
- ¾ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 12 ounces rustic whole-wheat bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- Place spinach in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze firmly over the sink to remove as much liquid as possible. Combine the squeezed spinach and artichoke hearts in a medium bowl.
- Cook tomatoes, oil, garlic, crushed red pepper and lemon zest in a small skillet over low heat, stirring often, until fragrant and the garlic is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir into the spinach mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk milk and eggs in a large bowl. Add the spinach mixture, feta and bread. Toss gently until the bread absorbs the milk mixture. Spoon the mixture into a 13-by-9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake until set and browned in spots, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe provided by Sodexo