Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 3 stalks green onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp. fresh or dried dill
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
For the Sandwich:
- multi-grain sandwich bread
- arugula or romaine lettuce
- extra basil as desired
- optional tomatoes and/or red onion
Tasty Sandwich Spread Options:
- spicy mustard
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add the to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna fish. I use both a potato masher and follow up with a fork to make sure every chickpea is deliciously smashed. You could also use a food processes and skip the arm workout!
- Chop your green onion, celery, shredded carrots, pepper, and pickles.
- Add to the bowl with chickpeas, then add mayo, Dijon, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in the sunflowers and basil (as much or as little as you’d like) and adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Pile High on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl son-first-anything goes!
Recipe provided by Sodexo