For patients at UConn Health, visits by relatives and friends are encouraged to make their stay more enjoyable. Please familiarize yourself with our guidelines, policies, and amenities to help with your visit.
Visiting Hours and Guidelines
With the patient’s doctor's permission, visitors may be seen in either the sitting room or the visitors' waiting area provided on each floor.
In order to provide for the patient’s comfort and care, visitors are asked to observe the following rules:
- Visiting hours are from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (or 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. as posted in some areas) unless you are notified by a nurse, of additional restrictions.
- Only two visitors per patient are permitted at a time.
- Visitors under the age of 12 are generally not allowed on the floor, except with special permission. Please ask the nursing manager on the floor for additional information
- Smoking by patients, visitors and staff is prohibited.
- Visitors are asked to check with a nurse before bringing food or beverages to a patient.
- Visitors are requested to keep visits brief and to speak softly.
Exceptions to these rules may be made on an individual basis. Please be sure to consult with a physician or primary nurse.
Intenstive Care Unit
Visitors are generally restricted to immediate family. Because of the intensity of care given in this area, 10-minute visits on an hourly basis are recommended.
Psychiatry/Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit
Geriatric Psychiatry Unit
How to Reach a Patient
Family and friends can reach a patient by calling our patient information number at 860-679-2387. The number is staffed from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Visit our Area Accommodations resource (internal link) for a list of hotels that are conveniently located within 5 miles of the UConn Health campus, providing greater comfort and convenience to those family members who may require lodging during a patient's hospital stay.
Food Court Service
Visitors may dine in the cafeteria located on the main floor of the Main Building. A wide range of items from full meals and hot entrees as well as beverages, desserts, sandwiches, grilled items and snack food is available. For more information, please visit the Food and Nutrition Services website.
The Connucopia Gift Shop in the hospital lobby is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, noon to 4 p.m. The Connucopia carries a wide variety of UConn Husky apparel and memorabilia, as well as greeting cards, candy, flowers, books, magazines, and basic toiletry items. A wide-range of baby items, including clothing, preemie clothing, toys and frames is available. Flowers can be ordered over the phone with Visa and MasterCard. Proceeds support the UConn Health Auxiliary’s charitable projects. The phone number is 860-679-2963.