Special Notice Fall 2017, Last Update October 2018
After the impact of the hurricane on Puerto Rico September 2017, pharmacy has been experiencing multiple shortages beyond normally expected however many of those hurricane related shortages have been resolved.
Critical shortages: Artificial tears and ointment, Bupivacaine, DiphenhydrAMINE injection, DOBUTamine vials, DOPamine vials, Lidocaine, Magnesium Sulfate, Remifentanil, Sodium Bicarbonate infusions, Sodium Phosphate, Shingrix
Pharmacy will post information as this continues to develop. Oral therapy MUST be considered with significant injection/infusion shortages. Guidance will be provided in the Electronic Medical Record with possible alternatives when necessary.
ORAL Therapy MUST be considered with significant shortages for antibiotics. Evaluate antibiotic usage for appropriateness (Procalcitonin levels, MRSA swabs).
NEW June 2018: Local Anesthetics (e.g. Lidocaine)
- ASHP Medication Shortage Information
- ASHP Guidance on SVP Shortage
- FDA Medication Shortage Information
UConn Health Pharmacy Guidance for Past Shortages
- IV Calcium Gluconate in Adult TPNs
- IV Heparin (switch to 1/2 Normal Saline Product)
- IV Hydralazine Alternatives
- IV Metronidazole Alternatives (restrict usage to severe-complicated C. diff combined with oral administered Vanco)
- IV Potassium (use oral)
- IV Zosyn Alternatives
- ADD-Vantage How-To Instructions
- IV Push Reminders on Administration