Special Notice October 2017
Due to the impact of the hurricane on Puerto Rico, pharmacy is experiencing multiple shortages beyond normally expected and the timeline for resolution is difficult to predict. The below link is a guide to current shortages.
Critical shortages include: Mini-Bag Plus 100mL IV, D5W 50 mL/100mL IV, Sodium Chloride 0.9% 50mL/100mL IV, Metronidazole IV, Potassium 10mEq/20mEq IV minibags, Heparin 25,000 units/500mL IV and Heparin 1000 units/500mL IV. Other shortages unrelated to the Hurricane include Bupivacaine, Lidocaine and multiple IV narcotics (FentaNYL, HYDROmorphone and Morphine). Pharmacy will post information as this continues to develop.
IV Small Volume Parenteral Shortage (D5w, NS) with Recommendations on Medications to be given IV Push (Starting Monday November 13th)
- IV Push Information for Medications (Recent Changes to IVMG)
- IV Push Reminders on Administration
- JDH IV Medication Guidelines (IVMG)
ORAL Therapy MUST be considered with significant shortages. Evaluate antibiotic usage for appropriateness (Procalcitonin levels, MRSA swabs).
IV Metronidazole Shortage Alternative Information
- Restrict usage to severe-complicated Clostridium difficile infections (combined with orally-administered vancomycin)
- IV Metronidazole Shortage Information with Alternative Guidance
IV Potassium Memo on Shortage with Recommendations
- For all patients that can tolerate oral/enteral administration, use oral potassium
- Potassium Small Volume Parenteral Shortage Memo
IV Heparin Memo on Shortage (Pharmacy will be using 1/2 Normal Saline Product)
ADD-Vantage Mixing Information (Used in Place of Mini-Bag Plus for Zosyn and Cefazolin)
- ASHP Medication Shortage Information
- ASHP Guidance on SVP Shortage
- FDA Medication Shortage Information
Recent News Articles on Shortages
UConn Health Pharmacy Guidance for Past Shortages