Update on Virtual Conferences
In order to help streamline Virtual Conference registrations the following changes will go into effect on July 1, 2021.
Virtual conferences are conferences that are presented online, do not require travel from your duty station, and do not have additional costs other than registration. Virtual conferences will no longer require the full travel authorization form but instead will utilize a more streamlined Virtual Conference Authorization Form.
How this new form will help streamline registrations
Virtual Conferences under $1000 can be approved by a supervisor and financial approver (who are not subordinates) but do not require a senior level authorization (except where the attendee is a senior level approver direct report).
Virtual Conferences over $1,000, which are rare, will still require senior level authorization.
Other Key Considerations:
- Virtual Conferences will still require pre-approvals.
- A valid business purpose is still required.
- Attendance must be pre-approved to be eligible for reimbursement. Attendance without pre-approval will require an exception to policy form (as with travel) for reimbursement.
- Attendees must still report if a third party is paying for any part of their registration.
- No reimbursement will be made prior to the completion of the conference. Proof of attendance, such as CPE or screenshot, should be provided with request for reimbursement.
- The Travel Office credit card continues to be available with an approved Virtual Conference Request form. Registrations are currently done via Skype and Webex. Please contact the Travel Office for additional details.
- Departmental P Cards are not to be used for Virtual Conferences.
- Subordinates may not sign off on supervisors’ conferences (same provisions as travel policy).
Travel and Cash Management Office
When using the UCONN Health Travel Credit Card:
- A registration appointment must be set on the Travel Calendar
- Appointments can be made via Outlook. Select: File -> Open -> Other user’s folder. Type in the first few letters of “travel” -> Folder: Calendar… schedule appointment accordingly.
- A copy of the Virtual Conference Authorization form and conference agenda must be sent to the Travel Office prior to the registration appointment.