Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get information on the medical status of an inmate who is a family member?

With an inmate’s permission, we can give you medical information. You can ask your family member to get a blank form CN4401 from the medical records unit, complete and sign it, and give it to the facility medical unit. Once this is on file, the health services staff at the facility can share information with you. You can call the facility and ask for the medical unit.

Who do I call if I think my family member is not getting medications or appropriate medical/mental health care?

Please contact the health services administrator at the correctional facility. A list of phone numbers is provided in the Contact Us section of the website.

Can an inmate bring their medications with them? How soon will medications be provided to my family member?

Any medication in an inmate’s possession will be confiscated, and can be picked up by the family within 30 days of admission, or given to the inmate if he or she is released before 30 days. Otherwise the medication will be destroyed after 30 days. Upon admission, offenders are given a medical screening. Appropriate medication will be provided as soon as medically necessary. Incoming offenders may bring a letter from their doctor, on letterhead, listing their current prescriptions. In exceptional circumstances, such as when a medication taken in the community is extremely expensive or difficult to obtain, CMHC will arrange to administer medications that are brought in by the inmate. Any such medications are subject to close examination to assure proper labeling.

Are eyeglasses or contact lenses taken upon admittance? Can I bring in glasses or contacts to a family member after they are admitted?

Inmates shall be permitted to retain their eyeglasses unless an imminent security concern arises. Inmates may request to have a pair of eyeglasses mailed or brought in if they did not have their glasses upon admission, a new prescription needs to be filled, or an existing pair needs to be repaired or replaced. The inmate unit counselor shall review and approve the inmate’s request before the eyeglasses can be sent to the facility. New admits shall be permitted to retain their contact lenses if they have no glasses and may continue to wear their contact lenses until seen by an optometrist. The optometrist will make a determination if glasses can be ordered to replace the contact lenses or if the inmate has a medical condition that requires contact lenses.

Are aids to impairment (such as hearing aids, crutches or wheelchairs) provided to inmates in custody?

Aids to impairment are provided to inmates only after referral, evaluation and recommendation of a CMHC physician, contractor or dentist.

Are interpreter services provided?

Qualified interpreters are provided through UConn Health. These interpreters are bilingual, have knowledge of medical terminology and confidentiality laws. Qualified language interpreters are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Interpreters for the deaf and hard of hearing are accessed through the Connecticut Commission on the Deaf and Hearing Impaired.

Who do I contact about news/media reports of outbreaks of infectious diseases?

You can review the CMHC website or the DOC website where any significant information would be posted. Other questions not answered on the websites can be directed to the DOC Office of Public Affairs.