Available funding: Up to $3,000
The Connecticut Convergence Institute’s Science Cafés offer diverse audiences an opportunity to explore the latest ideas in science and research at UConn Health. Science Cafés are held outside of the traditional academic environment in an informal setting and are intended to engage the public, generate interactive discussions, and increase collaborative research.
To promote public participation in our events, awardees are requested to acknowledge the Connecticut Convergence Institute in their promotional materials.
To be eligible for hosting a Science Café, you must meet the following minimum guidelines:
- Affiliation with UConn Health or UConn Storrs
- Planning form objectives approved by the Connecticut Convergence Institute
Science Café funds may be used for the following:
- Honorariums for speakers (up to $500) plus related travel costs are allowable as outlined by the UConn Health Center. (Note: Honorariums are not paid to UConn or UConn Health employees)
- Supplies required for the function of the Science Café
- Costs related to disseminating the Science Café’s plan
- Other authorized expenses that may be essential to carrying out the Cafe’s initiatives
- Food & Catering
Larger fund requests may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Science Café funds may not be used for the following:
- Parking expenses for event attendees
- Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator or Administrator salaries
- Research supporting individual projects
- Living expenses related to invited speakers or attendees
- Preliminary budget must be submitted with the Connecticut Convergence Institute planning form for review
and approval at least one month prior to the event
- The Connecticut Convergence Institute may offer guidance when planning a Science Café, but administrative support
may not be provided
- All promotional materials must be reviewed and approved by Michelle Noehren, Web & Marketing Associate