I am very proud to announce that the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (CASE) recently elected several of the University of Connecticut’s leading experts in science, engineering and technology into its membership. Bruce Liang, M.D., Ray Neag Distinguished Professor of Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine and director of the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center, and I were elected from the Health Center.
Election to the Academy is on the basis of scientific and engineering distinction achieved through significant contributions in theory or applications, as demonstrated by original published books and papers, patents, the pioneering of new and developing fields and innovative products, outstanding leadership of nationally recognized technical teams, and external professional awards in recognition of scientific and engineering excellence. By statute, the Academy’s membership is limited to 250 individuals.
The Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering was chartered by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1976 to provide expert guidance on science and technology to the people and to the state of Connecticut, and to promote the application of science and technology to human welfare and economic well being.
The newly elected members from the University of Connecticut are:
- Mark Aindow, Ph.D., Professor and Materials Science and Engineering Program Director, University of Connecticut
- Amvrossios Bagtzoglou, Ph.D., Head of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering; Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut
- Mun Choi, Ph.D., Dean of Engineering, University of Connecticut
- Monty Escabí, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering; University of Connecticut
- J. Peter Gogarten, Ph.D., Professor of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut
- Cato Laurencin, M.D., Ph.D., Vice President for Health Affairs and Dean of the College of Medicine; Van Dusen Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery; and Professor of Chemical, Materials, and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Connecticut Health Center
- Bruce Liang, M.D., Ray Neag Distinguished Professor of Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine, Director of the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center, University of Connecticut Health Center
- Pieter Visscher, Ph.D., Professor of Marine Sciences, Director, Center for Integrative Geosciences, University of Connecticut
- Robert Whitlatch, Ph.D., Professor, Marine Sciences, University of Connecticut/Department Marine Sciences